Skip to main content

Follow

Review of Amazon/KDP for Self-Publishing


One of the most common questions I see from others trying to become self-published authors is perhaps the most obvious one: where can I self-publish my works? There are a few options for publication and I’ll start with the biggest: KDP through Amazon. I’ll address Barnes & Noble and Smashwords in later posts. 

My Amazon author page is here, by the way: http://www.amazon.com/author/aliciastills

I’m not going to pretend like I’m a huge expert on the matter or anything, but I’m also not going to blow smoke and tell Internet strangers that I make $10,000 a month publishing erotica. Seriously, why do so many people trying to scam others into paying for their publication assistance pick $10,000 a month when they’re making up income? It’s a nice, round number, but also completely fabricated. 

But anyway, the point of this post isn’t to try to sell anyone on anything or to toot my own proverbial horn. I think that getting into this can be confusing and I just want to break down my impressions and experiences to help anyone else who’s thinking of giving this a go.

PROS

1. Large Network

Amazon has a huge distribution network and they seem to reach the largest audience. For anyone who’s trying to get their book in front of the most people, Amazon provides a pretty good platform for that.

2. Ease of Use

I’ve found that using Amazon’s services to get your e-book (and paperbacks, for that matter) ready for publication has been the most user-friendly. I used Amazon/KDP first, so really, it was a bit of a shock to use a different service after that to see just how far they lagged behind Amazon in terms of ease of use. 

3. Highest Number of Sales

Again, it’s been my experience that Amazon has been able to get my books in front of the most people, resulting in higher sales on this platform than I’ve seen on others. 

4. Kindle Unlimited Program

Okay, so this one appears on both the pros and cons list and it seems to invoke strong feelings from many self-published authors. I can see the valid benefits and drawbacks to the program, so I think it’s only fair that it appears on both the pros and cons. 

For those that don’t know, Kindle Unlimited (“KU”) is an optional program when you self-publish on Amazon’s KDP platform. KU members pay a fixed price for the ability to read as much as they want of any book enrolled in the KU program. In exchange, authors receive royalties based on the total number of unique page reads they receive on the KU program each month. It gets your book in front of more people, it increases your chances of reviews (hopefully positive), and it gets you a share of the money in the KU fund.

Additionally, when you’re enrolled in KU, you have the ability to create “countdown deals,” which is when you temporarily lower the price of your book. It can either remain at one fixed lower rate for the entire length of your promotion, which is up to one week, or it can increase in steps, depending on how you want to structure it. Alternatively, you can also choose to do a free e-book giveaway instead. Your free days do not have to be consecutive. It’s easy to set up and use.

Finally, enrolling a book in KU opens authors up to a 70% royalty rate in five additional countries, rather than the 35% they would get if not enrolled in KU.

5. Fast Publication

Amazon processes submissions pretty quickly and I usually see my books available for purchase in less than a day. They aren’t the fastest, but given their sheer size, it’s a pretty quick turnaround. 

CONS

1. Your Book Can Get Lost

It’s the other side of the coin to having a large network. Sure, there are a lot of potential customers, but there are also an enormous number of books, increasing the chances that your book gets lost in the shuffle. 

2. Royalty Rates Are Confusing and Don’t Make Sense

Personally, I think they could easily have provided clearer explanations of their royalty rates. You have to price your book at $2.99 or higher in order to qualify for the 70% royalty rate. However, just because you meet all qualifications to receive the 70% royalty rate, you still might only get 35%. I found out that your royalty rate also depends on what country the buyer is located. 

As far as I have been able to tell, this is something that is unique to Amazon, as none of the other publishers I’ve used find it necessary or appropriate to reduce royalty rates based on the buyer’s country. It doesn’t make sense to me why a buyer’s location should impact royalty rates, particularly when this is only applied by Amazon.

They also will take a delivery fee if you are enrolled in the 70% royalty rate.

3. Royalty Rates Are Worse Than Others

At 35%, KDP is the lowest royalty rate I’ve seen for e-books priced under $2.99. Barnes & Noble is 40% and Smashwords can vary, but would still be at least 49% . The breakdown of that is that Smashwords’ partners take 30%, Smashwords takes 10%. There might be an affiliate fee, which is initially set for authors at 11%, but you can opt to give a higher rate or nothing at all.

And again, even if you are enrolled in the 70% royalty rate program, you still might get bumped down to 35% depending on the country of the buyer. I’ve found that somewhere around 15% of my sales are coming from people in countries with a 35% royalty rate, regardless of my election. Additionally, they also have a slightly higher delivery fee in the 70% election (which is waived for 35%). So, at the end of the day the 70% is cut down by quite a bit, especially depending on where your sales are coming from. Even though Barnes & Noble has its higher rate set at 65%, the royalty rate overall ends being better there.

4. Kindle Unlimited Program

As promised, KU appears on the cons list as well. For all of its benefits, I still don’t have my books enrolled in KU. I did have all except for the last one, Strictly Business: Tormenting Tom, enrolled initially, but declined to renew. You make some additional money, but not much. Borrows from the KU program really drops off, too, so there is limited usefulness.

But what really bothers me about KU is that you are required to give KDP exclusivity rights while a book is enrolled in KU. Not only can you not use other publishers, but you can’t even make more than 10% of your book available on your own site.

More than that, you can’t put your book on sale or do a free giveaway if you are not enrolled in KU. There is no reason, aside from trying to force authors into enrolling in KU, despite Amazon taking a very large portion of the sales proceeds, anyway.

Also, yes, you are open to the 70% royalty rate in five new countries if enrolled in KU, but I don’t think I’ve even sold any copies in any of those countries. Maybe I have with this last round and I’m sure I will evenaturally, but that benefit is pretty limited.

Don’t get me wrong – they have a great platform and what they provide is great. But they definitely leverage their enormity to boost their bottom line at all turns.

Bottom Line

The bottom line for me is that Amazon is great for self-publishing. I wish that KU was a better deal for authors and that 70% royalty applied to sales in all countries, but it’s easy to use and has shown the best sales so far. It’s my first stop for publishing and will probably remain so going forward.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Reclamation Sex

For those who don't know, reclamation sex is when a woman has sex with her partner immediately after coming home from having sex with someone else. As perhaps dated and possessive as the term's origin may sound, the man is "reclaiming" what is his and taking it back for himself.  For a lot of couples who practice swinging/hotwifing/wifesharing/MFMs, the reclamation sex is a big deal. The couple may view the reclamation sex as a reaffirmation of their commitment to one another. A physical reminder that no one has been replaced by a third party and that the sex was recreational, not emotional - it was something that was only to add to the experience shared by the primary couple. Until today, my husband and I have always had the reclamation sex, even though I didn't really consciously know that that's what it was at first. The first time I had sex with another guy while he waited at home for me, I just wanted to feel that same closeness with him. I wanted to feel

Why Do Men Enjoy Cuckolding?

The best part of cuckolding: hotwife prepping It's a question I've seen many times, mostly by two groups of people. The first of which is men - particularly straight men - who are trying to understand why they are turned on by the thought of their partner having sex with another man or men. A lot of the time, they seem to be worried that they aren't "normal,” even though they can’t quite figure out what they think it is that would be wrong with them. Hint: Nothing is. The second group is women who are shocked by their husband or boyfriend bringing this fantasy up to them. Women who bring up cuckolding or hotwifing (which has a lot of similarities to cuckolding, but generally considers a more equal power dynamic, whereas that isn’t always the case with cuckolding. I could split more hairs here, but won’t.) first to their partner don’t have that same type of surprise. The women who question why men enjoy being cuckolded usually struggle with understanding why a man wan

Majority of Men Have Cuckold Fantasy

The article is from 2018  and doesn't go into detail about the extent of the fantasy, but 58% of men fantasize about cuckolding .  Which isn't really all that surprising to me. What is surprising is why wifesharing, hotwifing, cuckolding, MFM threesomes, and anything else involving a woman being sexual with more than one man is still seen as being so wrong and taboo in our society. Even though it's more common to fantasize about female partners being with other men than to not, neither men nor women are usually very eager to admit as much for a host of reasons. You're more likely to be met with a shoulder shrug if you say that you think FMF is appealing. Perhaps most significantly, the cited study found that cuckolding actually tends to be positive, both in fantasy and behavior. "Overall, our research found that for the most part, cuckolding tends to be a positive fantasy and behavior," said [clinical psychologist and author of Insatiable Wives , David] Ley. &

Why Do Women Enjoy Hotwifing and Cuckolding?

I  wrote about the various reasons why men enjoy cuckolding earlier, which you can find here: Why Do Men Enjoy Cuckolding?   It occurred to me, though, that a second post on this topic was needed and that I just hadn't written it yet. I guess I assumed that the benefits for women were just so obvious that they didn't need to be explored? I don't know why it's taken this long. I think there are some obvious perks, even if the topic is still pretty complicated.  I think women are nearly as likely to wonder if there is something wrong with them for wanting to be a hotwife as men are for wanting a hotwife. And there are many reasons for that. Namely, I think most societies have stigmatized women being sexual, making MFMs or women having two or more simultaneous or consecutive partners as being too “whorish” and something to be ashamed of. See some of my thoughts on that here: Stigma of MFMs Regardless, I don’t think any woman is weird for wanting multiple men. And I don’t t

About Me

My photo
Alicia Stills
I am a busy wife and mother who has been writing for most of my life. Beginning in May of 2020, I have finally started the process of publishing some of the items I have written. Most of my writings are focused in the romance and erotica genres, particularly those that feature women who are romantically or physically involved with two (or more) men. Most of my stories are purely of my own imagination, although many are inspired to some degree by my own experiences. I took a hiatus from writing for myself when I enrolled in grad school and it took me several years after graduation to start writing again. Even then, I only decided to start publishing my work after receiving encouragement from my husband. While my stories are often an expression of fantasy, I strive to create realistic characters and feasible situations. I feel as though readers are able to become more invested in a story when they can picture everything occurring. As far as I’ve been able to determine, all pictures are being used appropriately on this blog. If I’ve incorrectly used a picture that belongs to you, please let me know as it was not intentional.